Saturday, May 25, 2013

Another Lapse Into Academia (And Return To Metal)

So I know I haven't done one of these blog posts in a while, academic commitments came up again. Got three deadlines due over three weeks. But for now I'm gonna write about metal. I usually listened to pop music and hip hop for a while, since I had lost my path from the way of metal. Metal was something I adored back in the day like Dragonforce, Rhapsody, Metallica, and Yngwie Malmsteen. But as the years passed by I lost touch with my metal roots as my friends started listening to more rap and hip hop, and they lost touch with metal too. I didn't think much about this until I started trawling through Youtube and listening to classic metal albums I heard about in this book called 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die. I didn't get very far but I did listen to Slayer's Reign In Blood album for the first time and discovered that I really like Slayer but it's the sort of thrash metal that gets me really agitated and anxious. I can see why most of the metal I listened to was the likes of Dragonforce and Rhapsody, I'm an anxiety ridden dude who finds it hard to calm down. But I liked Slayer for what they were, and eventually came across stuff like Ghost and Sabaton through this guy called Happy Metal Viking.

Ghost are literally Satanic Metal like your parents keep warning you metal is, but it doesn't sound too brutal like black metal, sounds more 70s than black metal and thus I quite enjoyed listening to the literal devil's music. Sabaton on the other hand are great because they take the epic tales of glory I love about what metal can do as a genre and makes good use of them with lyrics you can hear that aren't growled into the microphone as much as sung. Sabaton sing about various battles of history. They're awesome.

That's all I've got for now until I get these assignments off my back.

No comments:

Post a Comment